Saturday, October 9, 2010

Skillz dat thrillz

'Ever notice how easy it is to be surprised that you actually know something that not everyone else knows?  Like, for example, I always assume that EVERYONE knows that California will not slide into the ocean, but rather will travel north to Alaska..(go north, the rush is on).  Or that resumes don't require complete sentences, but rather bullet points.


I bring up this second point because in my new capacity as Director of Career Services (duhn duhn DUHN) I have occasion to review resumes on a regular basis.  This job is very good at helping me realize that we all need a little help assessing ourselves.  Now, I know, before you say it, that I've already covered this topic.  But this is different, I swear!  Well, sort of different.  This is not just about being honest with ourselves, but more about seeing ourselves in a different light.

Enter young woman, recent high school graduate, who wants to apply for a job as receptionist at a chiropractic clinic.  She's just 18, uncertain of herself, going into massage therapy and hoping to help people.  After a few meetings, she produces her draft resume and we sit down to polish it.  Mostly she has experience in fast food and retail, but not too bad for her age.  She lists her skills as being friendly and accurate.  At the bottom of her resume she lists "other activities."  Me: "Oh, I see you have some high school clubs listed...German Club, Spanish Club, Sign Language Club." Student: "Oh, yes.  Sign language is my first language as my mom is an interpreter.  I am fluent in German and speak a little Spanish."  Ok.  "WHY ARE THESE NOT AT THE TOP OF YOUR SKILLS LIST?" I scream, nicely.  It had never occurred to her that things she took for granted were unusual, desirable, and could very well make the difference between an employer hiring her or someone else.

So again, the question...why don't we see these things about ourselves?  I'm always amazed when someone I know points out how great it is that I know something, when it is something I just know so therefore don't value.  Wait, what?  Why should I not value what I know?  It's in my brain, after all.  Why don't I value what skills/knowledge/quirks that I have? Why do I hide my light under a bushel? A bushel of apples?! (I like apples)


I found a great quote, even though it comes from a dubious source.  (Hey, I'll take a tiny piece of wisdom from a giant pile of hooey over just a pile of fluff any day.)  Harry Palmer is a Scientologist, so I will say no more on that account, but this quote is still worthwhile..."You are much deeper, much broader, much brighter than any idea you could have of yourself." 

I'm giving a new assignment.  This week, ask someone you trust to tell you one thing about yourself that they find unique.  Something that makes you YOU, something that your friends and colleagues value.  Doesn't have to be mind-blowingly amazing stuff.  Anything that makes us unique is important, and we should be aware of it!  Celebrate it! Share it here!  I'll do the same, and maybe after this week we can all eat a giant apple pie and put away the bushel for good.

1 comment: