Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Try a Little Kindness

I noticed something today. Or, rather, I questioned something. Have people lost their ability to accept kindness? I was shopping at Target, and at checkout was given a coupon for the Starbucks located in the store. Now, I am not a fan of Starbucks, not because they are a chain but because they over roast their coffee and I don’t like it. So, being nice, I offered my coupon to people standing in line for their coffee. First I offered the coupon to a man in fatigues, thinking, “Hey, people in the service deserve thanks.” He declined three times as if I were offering him a dead mouse. So I went to the next guy in line, and he gingerly took it out of my hands, frowned at it, and then mumbled, “OK.” Um…I am offering you money off something you are about to buy. Why aren’t you happy?



People are suspicious. People expect that you are in it for something, that you’re going to want something in return, that there must be some catch. Gee…I was just being nice. Are we really so cynical that we can’t just smile and say, “Wow, thank you” instead of staring blankly while we assess the perceived dark underbelly of an act of kindness?


I searched for quotes regarding accepting kindness. I found one. Just one!


One who knows how to show and to accept kindness will be a friend better than any possession. --Sophocles


In accepting a kindness, we experience a moment of intimacy with the giver. I think it can be easier to show kindness, since we aren’t looking for a connection. “Hey, I’ll pick up that item the lady dropped and return it to her.” But RECEIVING kindness requires that we open ourselves to another’s act. We have to drop our guard just a bit.


During difficult moments in my life, I have found that the only way to stay sane was to accept kindness. If someone offered help, I swallowed my pride and took it. Sure, I could go it alone. Sure, I could be miserable and slog it out solo. But why should we do that? Why not acknowledge that we’re really all in this together? That means not only being the powerful giver, but the humble receiver.


So, my challenge to you and myself this week is to accept kindness when it is offered to you. You just might find that it is offered more often than you imagined. In this challenging world in which we live, kindness should never be relegated to the back of the closet, whether given or received.

No comments:

Post a Comment